Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mean Girls

So, I never wanted this to happen.

My son is being picked on by a girl at school. A GIRL!! She's in his science class and makes his life hell.

She's taken his books, ripped up his papers, and calls him stupid.

Today, she went up behind him and kicked him in the butt. Well, she tried to kick him in the butt, but actually ended up kicking him closer to the solar plexus. Not cool. He said it was all he could do to not cry.

I found out today that she's the daughter of my principal's secretary. Nice. She belongs to this "clique" of girls who think they're better than everyone else. One of them is the daughter of our assistant superintendent, and others are kids of other district employees.

Ian is just a nice kid, trying to fit in. I try to dress him in "cool" clothes, he has nice hair, and showers daily. I think he's a pretty cute kid, and has a great sense of humor. This--in my opinion--goes above and beyond the "average" middle school kid.

Why him? Why anyone, really? What makes mean people decide to pick on one person over another? Throughout my career, I've seen kids get picked on, but they're usually the more "socially inept" kids. I was picked on as a kid because I was bald, but that's a given.

I just want to find this girl and ask her why--just so I can better understand. It's a mystery to me.

2 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

When I was in 8th grade I wanted to never go to school again. Ever. There was a kid in Mr. Rosenthal's US history class that was a complete neanderthal. Really. He was to stupid to tie his own shoes. When test time came around he would punch me until I let him see my paper. Not a friendly "come on, let me have a look" punch - a full on "I really, really want to hurt you" punch. 8th grade sucked. But 9th grade was better, and 10th was even better than that. By the time I graduated, I didn't want to go... Luckily I had a pretty cool sister who paved the way for me...

LivingstonClan said...

Mean people really do suck. And honestly, the best explaination is that thing that is said time and time again--they only do it to make themselves feel better. Bringing you down to make them look better. Sucks so bad to be on the receiving end of it, and I can only imagine (so far) being the parent of the kid on the receiving end. I want to find the girl too--but I would strongly advise against that. Ian will get through it. And it's almost summer, maybe she'll get a life during your 3 months off. Looking back on the stupid things that felt so huge back then, they seem so small. And when that girl looks back, she will feel ridiculous for the way she has treated people. Especially when HER kid is the one getting picked on by some stupid ignorant kid. Love you! HUG Ian for me. After this summer, he'll just be able to kick her butt!