Saturday, May 16, 2009

To my Lullub

I realized last night that I must have been absolutely brilliant as a child to call my brother, Billy "Lullub." It's almost exactly how you would pronounce "Billy" backwards. Should have known then! :)

Anyway...

My brother, Bill and I are only 15 months apart. Because we were so close in age, we had our fair share of struggles getting along growing up. He still has some lovely scars on his face from my fingernails. (In my defense, he DID pull my wig off. Not nice!) We'd fight like cats and dogs and were not very nice to each other. None of my brothers and sisters were very nice to each other growing up, but that's a story for another blog entry. :)

Favorite "Bill-ism" that still gets my upset to this day..."You could be right, Amie...you could be right." ARGH! I hated that!!

In high school, I would tolerate Bill, but mostly he just annoyed me--as little brothers do. We were in the same bands together during my senior year, and I'm sure he didn't always like being "Amie's little brother." As hard as it is to be the oldest sometimes, it's just as difficult to be a younger sibling trying to find your own path, rather than the one your older sister blazed for you.

I have been privileged to watch him become a father and a husband these past 13 years or so. I wish we lived closer, but I can still glean great things from blogs, emails, and phone conversations. He's a person who is close to the Lord, who loves his wife unconditionally, and adores his kids. I'm sure he's a wonderful member of his Bishopric. All in all, he became a great person in spite of having me for an older sister. ;)

During these past few months, as we've had a family trial to deal with, he's been a rock for all of us. We (my sisters and I) have called him for advice and just to vent, and he's always been a great listening ear. He has done the best he could to be patient, forgiving, and loving through it all. It hasn't been easy, but he's been as Christlike as he could possibly be, and I admire him for that.

I love you, Bill. I'm glad that we have been able to overcome the childlike issues we had growing up to become friends. I know I still rib you from time to time, but it's all in good fun, and you take it well. No one else I know could wear jeans that say "Cool Stuff" on the back and get away with it! :)

Take heart--know that I'll always be here for you, and so will your amazing little family. Times may be tough, but we'll get through it together. That's what family is all about.

2 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

Ah, Sis. I so shouldn't read your blog at work. You know what a boob I am - and you always make me bawl...

One of the things I am trying to instill in Ammon is the sense that he needs to treat his sister well. I have often told him that the biggest regret that I have in my life is how I treated my sisters. Not that I was extremely cruel or unusually mean... But I could have treated you all better and I didn't, perhaps setting an example for my brothers. Well, Alex seems to have done OK....

I promise to never say "you could be right" ever again. Unless the conversation naturally asks for that exact phrase. :-)

High school was great. I never, ever regretted being your brother. It was always an honor to have my name associated with yours in whatever way. I have always counted it (really!) as a special privilege to be your brother. Always. I have always looked up to you for your strength and wisdom and love. People may not always see that, but I always have.

And please continue to rib! It's really all in good fun and I love it. Life's too short to be all caught up in the boring mundane stuff... A little kidding and fun is what makes it lively and interesting and fun. I never take anything too seriously anyway, you know that...

I love you, too, sis. You're an amazing person, truly! I am proud to be your brother. And I know you'll always be there for me - you always have.

Thanks for the kind words.

Anonymous said...

Ah....

You got Bill to say BOOB, that's funny.

COOL STUFF!