Monday, May 4, 2009

Ode to the Saxophone


I really love playing the saxophone. (The saxophone above is my "dream" saxophone. A Cannonball "Hotspur" Big Bell Stone Series.)

I love how it sounds, I love the sound I make when I play it. I love playing saxophone with other great saxophonists. I love listening to great saxophonists. (My favorite--all time--still--is Charlie Parker. It has been since I was 14.)

I have been fortunate enough to play with and study with some of the greatest saxophone players around. I was VERY fortunate to be able to study with Ray Smith for seven years. I learned more from him than he could ever know. He taught me how to love music, and how to teach others to love it. I was also fortunate to be a part of Synthesis at BYU. I'll never forget the rush I felt when being on stage for the first time with them. I'd admired the band for so long, and to be a part of it was--literally--a dream come true.

When I graduated from BYU, my saxophone playing took a hiatus for a while. I didn't really start playing again until I moved to Prescott nine years ago. I first started playing with our community concert band, and I now play with our community college's big band. I can't describe how fun it is to play again. It's like coming home. Playing with the big band reminds me why I love music so much.

Tonight, Max Lopez (the lead alto player in the band) gave me the solo on "Angel Eyes," an alto feature ballad. It's a really cool piece--kind of a "guy walks into a bar" kind of a song. I really like playing ballads. The last one I remember playing was "Samantha" while on tour in Japan with Synthesis. Ballads allow me the opportunity to express emotion, demonstrate the tone and range of the saxophone and show beauty all at the same time. It was really cool. One lady came up to me afterwards and said she'd describe my playing as "chocolate mousse." My playing has never been described as a food before! :)

I was grateful for the opportunity to share my love of the saxophone and music tonight. I was glad that some of my students were there, my little family, and Josh and Kassie. It meant a lot to me to have them there.
Thanks, most of all, to my parents. I don't know where I'd be today if my dad hadn't taken me to Summerhayes Music during my 7th grade year to rent a saxophone. (Even if it was a "pity" thing--I had just split my head open!) Mom, thanks for being my chauffeur to and from lessons for years. I owe so much to both of you, and I hope I've done what I can to "pay it forward." I love you! :)

3 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

Chocolate mousse? Really? That's awesome! And SO true. I couldn't agree more. Once I got over being jealous of you and your talent and ability (which really only lasted about a second), I was able to just enjoy what you are able to do do with the sax. You ARE the sax master!

I will never forget you and your friends playing at my mission farewell. One of the highlights of my life.

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

I am constantly in awe of my children, each of them. If there is a payback for being a parent, it is to have your children turn out even better than your aspirations for them. You have certainly done this, Amie. Your music and your commitment to your students, family, and the Lord are a source of great satisfaction to your mother and me.

One Giant Fall Forward said...

You are GREAT... Thanks for allowing me to be apart of your family. I LOVED listening to you play. I felt tears well up because I felt how much you love to play. I don't have much talent in music. I often think that the great talent that I have is a strong appreciation for music and for the musicians. Thanks for giving me so much joy and for sharing that special night with Josh and I