Saturday, June 4, 2011

An Email to Gram

Gram,

Gordon asked me to email you with exactly what my issues are regarding my (hopeful) upcoming transplant. I'm very worried about it, and am so grateful for those who would like to fast on my behalf tomorrow. It means a lot to me, and I know that our Heavenly Father will hear our prayers.

As most of you know, I had cancer as a child. This was during the late 1970s before they started testing blood more carefully for viruses. During the course of my treatments, I had a lot of blood transfusions, and I'm fairly certain that's where I picked up the lovely hepatitis B virus. I didn't know I had this until I started dialysis when my kidneys shut down in December of 2009.

When I started my evaluations for a kidney transplant at Mayo Clinic, I met with a hepatologist (liver doctor), who told me that I could take medications to suppress the virus so that it would be undetectable. I did this for a few months, and was finally cleared for transplant last November. I thought that once I was cleared, I wouldn't have to take the meds anymore, so I stopped.

Since then, I've had other complications, but was cleared again for transplant in February. They tested my hepB level again at that time and the viral count was higher than it had ever been. This set me back yet again, as if I were to have the transplant with my viral count at a detectable level, the anti-rejection drugs I'll have to take for the rest of my life would have let the virus multiply and destroy my liver. I've been on the anti-viral meds again since February, and while the count is trending downward, it still isn't good enough. It started at almost a million in February, was at 500,000 in March, 1800 in April, and was at 1000 on May 10. The hepatologist wants it at ZERO before he'll clear me for transplant.

My transplant is currently scheduled for June 14, and I will have my count tested again on June 7. If I want to go back to work teaching band at the end of July, I absolutely HAVE to have the transplant done on the 14th. I've been told by my district office, that if I don't have the surgery in June, they will find someone else to fill my position. I love teaching, and so desperately want to get back to work! I also want to feel good and be a better wife and mother. Of equal importance to me is to have this done so that my sister (who is my donor) can get on with her life...we've been in limbo for so long!

Anyway--a long explanation as to why we're fasting tomorrow. I have had the power of fasting and prayer work in my life before, and I know it can work again. I need the lab test on Tuesday to come back with a positive result so that this transplant can finally happen.

Love you all. Thanks so much for all of your prayers, faith and love.

Amie

1 comment:

amuse said...

Our prayers are with you Mrs. Cobb. God is great and mighty.