Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thoughts on kids growing up

So my little boy turns 11 on Monday. I feel old. I'm really not that old, but having an 11 year old makes me feel that way.

He's way into his music, most of which I can't stand to listen to...another reason I feel old. I remember my parents not wanting to listen to my music. On family trips I would sit in the back of the Suburban with my boom box and listen to "my music." It was mainly Madonna, Duran Duran and Debbie Gibson. *How embarassing!* I thought my parents were lame for not wanting to listen to my music. I always swore that I would always stay "current" on the "cool music."

Now look at me--when I get in the car, all I want to do is listen to talk radio. What a geezer!! :^B

The music he listens to isn't all that bad, per se. I worry about him listening to some of the music my students listen to. Gordon and I have had long talks with him about the power of music and the influence it can have on your life. I look at some of my students who listen to what I describe as "hate/scream" music and what kind of kids they are. They have little to no regard for authority and just seem to be in a bad mood all of the time.

For a while at the beginning of the school year, I listened to the "Hairspray" soundtrack almost every day. (By the way, if you don't have that, you really should get it...it's really fun.) When I would listen to it on the way to school I couldn't help but be happy. It put a spring in my step and a smile on my face. I should go back to listening to it...I've been so grouchy lately.

Anyway--

He's growing up, and next year he'll be a Deacon. How strange is that. I look at those boys now, and they look so much older than Ian. Granted, Ian is a bit smaller than most boys his age, but the Deacons just look big. It's weird to me to think that in a few months Ian will be up there passing the Sacrament. Odd...

Courtnie is huge. I mean huge. Even though she's 4 1/2 years younger than Ian, they are only about an inch apart. We just bought Courtnie new shoes and she's wearing a size 2. I don't think I wore a size 2 until I was in the 6th grade. Luckily she stays active and is still slender. The thought of having an overweight kid scares the crap out of me. I see how they're treated in school and I would hate for my kids to have to go through that.

Okay...I guess I'm done for today. If you read this before Monday, February 25, call us and wish Ian a Happy Birthday. I'm sure it would make his day.

No comments: