Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pure Leadership



I recently finished the book "No One Can Take Your Place," by Sheri Dew. This book was the most inspirational and moving book I've read in quite some time. I enjoyed the fact that while reading it I had several "a-ha" moments, and found myself pondering what I'd read long after I finished reading.

One of the chapters is on what she calls "Pure Leadership." This is something I've thought a lot about recently, as I've been on the committee to find a principal for our high school. We've had 9 principals in the past 13 years. Not a very good track record. I feel that there are several reasons for this, and not all of them have to do with the principal. One is that our somewhat "rural" district can't afford to pay a principal what schools in the Phoenix area...another is that our district office can be (at times) a bit overbearing. (The staff at our school can be a bit overbearing as well.) We're a blue collar community and there are special circumstances and issues that come along with that type of town. Perhaps the previous principals just weren't up to the challenge.

We interviewed six candidates, and each was--literally--as different as night and day. Some gave textbook, "pat" answers. Some lacked that passion and desire we were all looking for. Some were nice people, but just didn't have that "special something."

The second candidate we interviewed was like a breath of fresh air. He came in with a lot of great ideas and youthful vigor. (I'm not being an "ageist" here, but we just didn't want someone who'd decided to come out of retirement for the 2nd time.) He had done his homework, and knew all about our school and community and knew the challenges he would face in coming here.

The other candidate we really liked is someone who has been the "interim" principal this year. She is an amazing person who has stuck it out at our high school for the past eight years--through the lean times. She is passionate about the students at our school and wants for them to succeed so badly. I have seen her step up to the plate so many times this year for the kids. It's been amazing to watch her grow.

Who gets the job? It's up to the superintendent and the board president to decide. We send our top two candidates and they interview them. We'll see... It's been an interesting process to be involved in and I'm glad that they asked me to be a part of it.

Anyway--back to Sheri Dew. I really enjoyed her chapter on leadership and plan to incorporate a lot of her ideas into my band leadership team next year.

My favorite quote from this chapter is:
"It's easy to spot Pure Leaders, because they help those who follow them to do more and see more and become more than they could ever do or see or become on their own. In addition, Pure Leaders realize that leadership isn't about them, it's about the people they serve. It's about the people they are called to lead."

She also lays out ten key qualities each leader must have:
1. A Pure Leader is humble. They recognize that all they have comes from God. They recognize that they need His help every step of the way.
2. A Pure Leader is fiercely devoted to a righteous cause.
3. A Pure Leader has faith in God. President Hinkley..."I believe that God will always make a way when their is no way."
4. A Pure Leader is someone you can trust. They tell the truth, they do what they say they will do, and they try to live what they believe.
5. A Pure Leader is willing to work. President Hinkley--"The only way I know to get anything done is to get on my knees and plead for help and then get on my feet and get to work."
6. A Pure Leader is optimistic--not only about the future, but about the people they lead.
7. A Pure Leader believes in and cares about people. Seeing others progress is their motive...it is what drives them.
8. A Pure Leader communicates. You can't build relationships if you don't communicate.
9. A Pure Leader has vision. They understand and respect what has come before, but can imagine things that are yet to be and push forward to make them a reality.
10. A Pure Leader has the strength to stand alone. President Hinkley--"The price of leadership is loneliness. The price of adherence to conscience is loneliness. The price of adherence to principle is loneliness. I think it is inescapable...But a man...has to live with his convictions...Unless he does so, he is miserable--dreadfully miserable.

I would like to make this into a list that's "non-LDS friendly" and give it to our new principal--whomever they end up being. She nailed everything on the head, and she found all of these examples in ancient and modern prophets. I am so grateful to have these great men in my life to show us the way.

No comments: