Friday, May 22, 2009

Done-da-done-done DONE!

Reflections on another school year gone by...

1. This year FLEW by! I talked to several teachers last night and we all agreed that it just went by really fast.

2. Musical accomplishments: Qualifying for State Marching Band for the fourth straight year. Qualifying for State Concert Festival for the first time in about 8 years. Twelve students were selected to participate in the All-Region honor band. (More than any other year in BMHS history.)

3. Professional highlights: Doing "Guys and Dolls." (LOVED IT!) Graduating 23 seniors this year, and gaining 40 freshmen next year! Really feeling like the band is starting to take off this year. The "culture of mediocrity" is almost on it's way out the door! It's taken me five years here at BMHS, but I finally am starting to feel like I'm "getting it." I used to feel like those commercials that said "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV." At first I felt like an imposter and lived on pins and needles waiting for someone to figure that out. HA! I guess they never did! :)

4. Personal highlights: Watching Ian wrestle and get to the State Tournament this year. Watching Ian grow into his new middle school role. It wasn't easy for him at first, but he's finally starting to get it. He's doing well on trumpet and is enjoying being in band. (Go band geeks!) Watching Courtnie become a good cheerleader after struggling for a few years. (She definitely has Cobabe genes!) She's also started taking piano lessons and is LOVING them. She's such a smartie-pants and it's fun for her to have something of her own. Gordon started coaching freshmen football and is having the time of his life. I joke with people that I wish I could make him that happy, but I've really never seen him so content. I'm happy for him.

We have a new principal. I think he's going to do really well here. He has youthful energy and enthusiasm that our school sorely needs. I just want so badly for everyone here to give him a chance to make it work! Put the negative attitude in check and move on!

Summer plans: Next week--ABSOLUTELY nothing. Sleeping until noon every day--not showering, *just kidding* and hanging with the kids. We're going to Chandler today for the weekend and going to a Diamondbacks game on Monday. That should be fun. After that, I'll be in and out of my room getting things ready for next year. It will be here before I know it! Courtnie gets baptized on June 27 and then we're leaving for Utah on July 5 for Ian's wrestling camp. I'd like to stay in Utah for about 10 days, but maybe my sisters will want to kick me out before then. Who knows...

I'm content and tired. Graduation was last night and between setting up, tearing down and all of the emotions that went along with it, I'm beat. There's always tomorrow to sleep, right?

School year 2008-09...I'm out.

1 comment:

LivingstonClan said...

This sister would let you stay FOREVER!!! Sounds like you had a good year, and I can only imagine how excited you are for the summer. Happy we get to be a part of some of those big plans. We watched a cheesie 80's wrestling movie last night that Mike's boss sent us, and I thought of Ian!