Friday, November 20, 2009

The Role of a Righteous Woman

An article I wrote for our ward newsletter:

I love being a woman. I cherish the attributes that make me different than men. I am grateful for the divine nature that is within each one of us as daughters of God. The first sentence of the Relief Society Declaration states that “We are beloved spirit daughters of God.” President James E. Faust said, “To be a daughter of God means that you are offspring of Deity, literal descendants of the Divine Father, inheriting godly attributes and potential.”

I am grateful for the examples of strong, righteous women throughout history. They have truly been—at times—the “unsung heroes” of the work of the Lord. I love reading about Eve, Sarah, Rachel, Emma Smith, Lucy Mack Smith and countless others. Their strength and courage in the face of adversity pushes me forward when I face struggles in my own life.

I also look to my own mother who raised seven children through many hardships. Growing up, we didn’t ever have a lot of money, but my mom worked very hard to see that the needs of her children were met. She would babysit, sew, and do whatever she needed to do to bring in money. She did all of this while being a great example to me of service to others.

There is no end to the influence of women. Elder Neal A. Maxwell, in April 1978 conference said this: “When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this.”

I pray that each one of us will recognize our divine potential. As women, we have an innate spiritual sense that allows us to trust in the Lord more fully. As we trust, we will find the joy in being a mother, a daughter, a sister, and a wife.

No comments: