Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Up All Night

Some nights I have a difficult time falling asleep.  I've been told that this is common in dialysis patients.  Some nights I'm eventually able to fall asleep, and others nights I take a couple of Benadryl to help.  (Of course, then I'm left with what I love to call a "Benadryl hangover" the next day...)

Last night was one of those nights.  It was about 1:30 and I was flipping through the channels on TV in my bedroom.  I turned to CMT and this video was starting.  I really like Martina McBride, so I stopped and watched.  It is so amazing how music and lyrics like this can bring people in similar situations together.  Even though this song is specifically about cancer, I think it applies to anyone who has a strong support system.

You need to take a few minutes right now and watch it.  (You may need Kleenex handy.)



I have been so fortunate to have the BEST support system around as I have struggled the last two years.  I shared the sentiments of the women in the video who say that no one has ever made me feel like a burden...especially Gordon.  He never complains when he has to do more than his fair share of the housework, clean up my puke bucket, or listen to me whine.  He has been given the strength to get through this, and to help me get through it as well.  I don't know how I got so lucky, but I am grateful every day of my life.

Dr. Vargas called yesterday and said I'm not a mutant after all.  My Hep B virus strain is not drug resistant, which--in the long run--is good news.  I'm going to start taking two different anti-viral meds and we're hoping that will kick the virus' butt.  I know I've said this a million times before, but I'm SOOOO ready!  The more I've thought about it, the better I feel that, although a set back is hard, it will be better to make sure all is completely well before I get the kidney from Michelle.  I would feel so terrible to waste it because I was impatient.

At Courtnie's school, they are required to memorize a poem and recite it to the class each quarter.  The teacher selects the poem, and some of them have been quite interesting.  Courtnie is doing her recitation today with the poem, "Pancake Collector."  It's a cute one, and she's loved memorizing it.  She was getting ready this morning and went into my bathroom for a while.  When she came out, she had curled her hair for the first time on her own.  It looked great!  I don't think I did as good a job my first time using a curling iron.  What a cutie!  I love her so much.

We're going to Utah this weekend for Tyler's baptism.  I need to start getting things ready, but Ben Hur is on TV, so I'm not.  Oh well...maybe tomorrow. :)

No comments: