Monday, September 7, 2009

Freedom isn't free...

This post isn't going to be about what the title suggests, although that would be a good blog entry.

I had an exceptional group of seniors graduate last year. Twenty-five of them, to be exact, and I cared very much for each one of them. They were my second group of students to be with me all four years, and we had a very close relationship. I know what each one of them is doing, and I'm so proud of their choices in attending college, joining the armed forces, or working to save money for future endeavors.

I just read a post on Facebook today that made me sad.

One of my students is attending NAU on a music scholarship. He wants to be a band director. He posted on one of my other students a comment about her photos. She's posting the typical "girl" photos--her room, going to eat, etc. He commented that she should see one of his photos...he said it's pretty incriminating. He said he was dressed like a pirate with a beer bong in one hand and a tequila in the other.

Stupid.

This kid has had things handed to him his whole life. He had a family that supported him in music--provided lessons for every instrument he wanted to learn, encouraged him to practice, and made sure he did all of the things he was supposed to do. He was always a little arrogant of his talent, but was a good kid and a good leader last year.

I just can't fathom why people think they can't have fun without getting drunk or high. I've had a great life--filled with lots of experiences and joys--without once touching alcohol, drugs or tobacco. For me, being in band and performing was all the "high" I needed. I just wish I could convince more people of that.

(I'm chatting with one of my other former students online right now and he just said, "People who say you can't have fun without alcohol have never sat next to the clarinet section!")

I know that I'm just one person in their life, and that they will have many other influences. I also am not so naive to think that they won't ever drink--it's too prevalent in our society. I just wish they would have the brains to wait a while. Too many of them get out of the house and think that they're free, but freedom comes at a cost, and sometimes the cost can be great.

Whenever I think of drinking, I always think of Gordon's dad who's life was completely changed by a drunk driver. Gordon's dad was so full of life--athletic, strong, and charismatic. One poor choice by one person changed all of that. I wish I could change all of that.

I am content at times to think that maybe the way I am and the choices I make will affect one of my students who, in turn, can affect many others. I'm hoping that poor decisions can be avoided--or at least postponed a while.

I've been asked a few times in my life what would make me the happiest. If I had one wish, it would be for my own children and my students to make good choices and be happy. This may sound a little "Pollyanna-ish," but I believe with all of my heart that one leads to the other. When you make good choices--even though they may seem restrictive at the time, they really open up doors and give us more opportunities. You limit yourself exponentially when you make poor choices in life.

2 comments:

amuse said...

Wow that was deep but great. I don't understand why people or kids think that they have to drink in order to have a great time. I have always had the thought that you have to enjoy today because you might not get another chance, because tomorrow never gets here and yesterday is already gone. I was raised from 12 years old till I moved out with a raging alcholic and I vowed then never to drink and smoke and I hope and pray that I have instilled that into my two children. Thanks for all you do.
Nora

JoEllen said...

You continue to amaze me! Wow! Those kids in your band don't know how lucky they are to have you! I hope that your administration knows how luck they are.

I am in total agreement with your post. Could not have said it better.

Keep up the good work!