Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Same S***, Different Day



It's time for my yearly check-up with my vascular surgeon at the Arizona Heart Hospital. I really like my surgeon (Dr. Wheatley)...he's genuinely interested in my case, and listens to what I have to say.

So, I needed a CT scan, which for me means some heavy duty Benadryl and Prednizone. Both of which make me VERY tired and VERY spacey. Luckily, they didn't give me an additional IV dose of the drugs, as I would be in bed right now.

The CT scan showed that the stent in my aorta is starting to develop build up again. Not good news. Dr. Wheatley said that it's not bad enough that we need to do something about it right now, but that we definitely need to watch it closely. He wants to see me back in two months.

Two thoughts come to mind:
1. When is this going to end?
2. If it's "starting" to look bad, why wait until it IS bad before doing something about it?

Of course, both of these questions come to me after I've left the hospital, as I'm too loopy to ask him anything while I'm hopped up on Benadryl. (Maybe that's why they do it...) :)

I'm grateful for my husband who just sits and listens to me complain about all of it and just offers words of encouragement and support. He doesn't judge, he doesn't tell me to "suck it up," he just says "I know, I know" and, "We'll get through it." He's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

All right--enough complaining for tonight. I'm "manning up" right now. (Promise!)

2 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

First off, I hope it never ends. Or at least not for a very long time. I love you sis. More than you probably know. It breaks my heart that you are still dealing with cancer as a major part of your life--what 30 years later? BUT, I am glad you are still around to be dealing with anything. May not ease your pain, or frustration, but I just had to let you know. Someday I will become a genius, and figure out a solution to all of your problems. Until then, endure, call me anytime and complain, and remember I LOVE YOU!

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

I think that all of uw with an IQ even slightly higher than that of a carrot ask similar questions, if not for the same reasons at least for similar ones. We all have problems. Yours are more difficult than seems to me to be fair, but others have tough times too. (This is not a "stiff upper lip" ramble.)

But you know, I am learning to be glad and say thank you for my problems. I wish there was another way, but I only seem to learn from problems. And I mostly seem to get blesings when I overcome them. And I NEED BLESSINGS!

Most of all, I have learned to love my Savior and appreciate the atonement because of my problems. So I guess if I had a choice I would choose to keep my troubles, if the choice not to do so would mean I would not learn or be blessed.

I am so proud of you Amie, and the way you have dealt with your problems. One day they will be gone, and we will understand better. Meanwhile, isn't it great that we have each other to lean on.

Dad