Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Death and Destruction

So my little girl has had a doll since she was born. Literally. She received it from her Aunt Spring when at her baby shower. I think she may have been two weeks old.


Anyway--it's her constant companion. She is named Sallie. Once, when we were visiting Lindsey in Utah, we accidentally left her behind (Sallie, not Courtnie.) Courtnie cried for weeks and weeks until Lindsey sent her back to us.


There's really nothing special about Sallie. She was probably an inexpensive Wal-Mart purchase, but Courtnie sleeps with her every night and they are great friends.


Enter Polly.


Our dog chews on just about everything. Her favorite chew toys are the ends of new hairbrushes. (Rather annoying.) We woke up one morning to find Sallie's face chewed up. It was pretty bad, but I was able to "Frankenstein" the mouth back together.


Last week Ian found Sallie outside and it was even worse. Polly had taken Sallie outside and was gnawing on her. I thought I could cover it up by pretending Sallie was "lost" and asked Ian to throw her away--quickly. Nothing doing. Courtnie asked where Sallie was...looked everywhere and cried and cried when she couldn't find her. I finally caved and told Ian to get her out of the garbage.


What a scene! I told her that I was so sorry and held her for a while. Courtnie said she didn't care what Sallie looked like, and..."Could I fix her?" I told her I'd do my best, but I'm not sure what I can do at this point.


As you can see--she's missing an eye, has only 1/2 an arm and has even more of her face chewed off.

Courtine has now taken drastic measures to protect her precious Sallie. I think she has her wrapped up in at least four blankets and has tied her robe around her as well.

When I had cancer, my mom took my doll, Sarah with me to the hospital. While I was undergoing surgery to remove the tumors, my mom took Sarah and made her a new body (or gave her new stuffing...I'm not sure which.) My mom told me Sarah had surgery just like I did. Kinda cute. I wish I could do this for Sallie. We've tried making her a new doll, buying her a new doll, and nothing can replace her Sallie doll.

What's a mom to do? :)


4 comments:

said...

You are a great writer Amie!

Jenna has a blanket that has lived a similar life. It is thread bare. What used to be white fabric with pastel hearts now is just white... sort of. The ruffle has been loved til it's shreading.

Guess we just let them keep lovin' their stuffin. :-)

Bill Cobabe said...

Elise has a veritible menagerie of stuffed animals she sleeps with. She has a turtle, a sheep, a bunny, and most recently a stuffed Peep chick (you know, those sugar covered marshmallow things...). She doesn't have any one particular one she sleeps with every night - she rotates. So if for some reason the bunny is not there she'll settle for the turtle. As long as it's SOMETHING... She also sleeps with her hands under her cheek, something I never thought anyone really did - I thought they just did that on commercials to indicate a comfortable bed/pillow/whatever... She does it for real... So cute!

LivingstonClan said...

Somehow I missed this one the other day--gosh you always can make me tear up! JERK! ;) Isn't it great to have your kids believe you can "Fix it?" The day they stop believing that will be a very sad one indeed! Do you remember the brand name of Sally? Maybe we could find them online somewhere...Bailey needs one too!

Amie Cobb said...

Everyone has been so sweet on this one.

Debbie--I had a "woobie" all through high school. My mom made it for me when I was in the hospital with cancer and I slept with it every night--right up until I got married. Sometimes I still miss it! ;)

Bill--you are the greatest brother ever. Courtnie is looking forward to having Selena come to visit! :)

Lindsey--I've looked and looked for years for a replacement Sally doll. Spring told me she got it at Wal-Mart, but they don't carry them anymore. It has been over 7 years!

I'm happy to report that Courtnie is recovering. She still keeps Sallie wrapped up in her tomb of blankets and her robe (double-knotted!) My mom offered to help fix her--I think we might send her up to Rexburg for some repairs.

Thanks for your kind thoughts! :)