Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I Heart My Job

I had a really great day. Wanna hear about it? Here it goes...

Third period--concert band--LaToya.

LaToya is a senior this year, and I've been her band director for six years. (I taught her in middle school as well.) She started out on clarinet in the 6th grade, but when she got to high school she asked if she could switch to baritone. As I always need low brass players, I was (of course) ecstatic!

She has learned to play this instrument very well, all the while continuing to play the clarinet. She has earned a spot in our All-Region Honor Band for the past three years. She also plays trumpet in our jazz band.

The BMHS concert band qualified for the State Concert Festival this year--it's the first time in about 10 years we've done it. For State, we have to learn all new pieces, so I picked Gustav Holst's "Second Suite in F" and a really cool newer piece by Bruce Yurko called "Night Dances." "Second Suite" has a couple of really amazing baritone solos. I didn't choose the pieces because of the solos, but they are really nice.

Today we were working on the first movement and it was time for the baritone solo. LaToya played it so beautifully that I started to cry. When the solo was over, I stopped the band, and before I could even say a word, she said, "YES!" with a huge grin on her face. She was so proud of herself. That meant more to me than I can say. It is so cool to work with students and watch them progress and feel good about what they've accomplished. It was one of the highlights of my career.

On a side note--one of the other highlights happened about 13 years ago when I was teaching 5th and 6th grade band. We were playing "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys and Matt Watson was playing the drum solo in the middle. He'd never really felt good about his performance, and felt anxious about playing it. We did an assembly/performance for the school where he had the chance to play it. He NAILED it! When he finished, he held his hands up like a rock star and "saluted" the audience. I can still see his face and his spiky blond hair.

I'm so grateful for my job. No two days are the same, and every day provides me with new joys and challenges. Teachers in my field tend to burn out after a while. My hope is that by remembering the good times, I can overlook the headaches and the hassles, and remember that it's all worth it.

9 comments:

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

Teachers like you are the reason kids even have a chance in this crazy world!

LivingstonClan said...

Not gonna lie--I cried a little when you said you cried! I guess it's a sister thing. You truly are an amazing teacher Amie. And I can say they honestly, having seen you in action several times. You make me want to be a teacher, so that I can touch lives the way you do. You give teaching a good name!

Michelle said...

Aww...so sweet!

I think I would have never quit if you were my teacher... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm posting this annonymously because you knew me a long time ago and I am pretty positive you never liked me. But that aside...

I couldn't read this and not post because as a teacher you are making such a difference in these kids lives!

20 years from now LaToya is still going to remember that she made you cry, that you were proud of her and that you let her know it.

Kids get so little positive reinforcement and when they get a MAJOR positive reinforcement it sticks for the rest of their lives.

I'm happy for you, and for her, you are doing a great job!

Amie Cobb said...

Anonymous--

You realize that now I'm going to go crazy trying to figure out who you are! :)

I hope I haven't really given you the impression that I didn't like you. I'm _usually_ not that kind of person...

Thank you all for the kind words! :)

Billy Bob Bambino Bombabious Baby the Third said...

Ah, reminds me of MY baritone solo in Birdie's world... I only nailed mine twice, once in a concert and once at State. We ended up losing state to American Fork (!) but I will never, ever forget the look on Bird's face when I nailed it. The relief and pleasure were palpable. So fun!

You're great! You're doing it! I love you so much.

PEACE

Oh Babe COBABE said...

It must be a sister thing because I cried too. I sure Love you Amie... Thanks for all you do!

LivingstonClan said...

P.S. The only reason I ever wanted to be in band was to be like YOU!

Grandma Cobabe said...

Amie, I cried too!!! I loved reading all of this. I was so impressed when we got to come to your school and visit the class. The music was so beautiful and I could see how the students respected you. It was wonderful to be able to observe.
I played in the orchestra from Jr High thru High School and we had a super teacher named Mr Weatherly. He was a little old but so calm and helpful. The school higher ups would send him the problem Guys and soon he would have them playing an instrument and lovin' it.He was kind of like Mr Hollands Opus. We all loved him.He did Band and Orchestra..
You are the epitomy of what a teacher should be. I am so proud of you. Love Grandma