Saturday, April 11, 2009

Homemade Oreos

One of my fondest "pre-marriage" college-life experiences is living with my Aunt Sarah. She was awesome.

A few fun memories...

Watching her create her "Seven Wonders of the World" shirts for her fashion show collection.

Eating Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream--back when it was the ONLY cookie dough ice cream.

Trying to figure out new cuisine creations that you could make with whatever was in the fridge at the time.

Trying to understand our Chinese roommate. (?)

Making homemade oreos.

I absolutely love these oreos, but I don't make them often enough. (Probably because I eat them!) I have made them for my band students and they always beg for more. One student actually offered me $20.00 for a batch. (I didn't do it...too weird!)

I'm making some today for our marathon 5 hour "Guys and Dolls" rehearsal. It makes me miss my Aunt Sarah. :'(

Anyway--they're so delicious that I thought I'd share the recipe, along with some helpful tips I've learned along the way...

For one batch:
1 Devils food cake mix
3/4 cup shortening
2 eggs

Mix ingredients together--it will form a thick, easily handled batter.
Roll into 1" balls and place about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. My original recipe says 7-8 minutes, but in my oven I have to cook them for 10 minutes. You'll know they're done with they start to "crack" on the top. They'll look a little doughy still. I leave them on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before letting them cool on a rack.

For the frosting--you can make your own cream cheese frosting or buy it. (I buy it--it saves time.)
Here's a cream cheese frosting recipe:
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar

When the cookies are cool, match up two "sides" and frost one side.

These are really good the next day...the cream cheese penetrates the cookie and makes it oh-so-yummy.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

5 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

Way to go! Now I can't stop thinking about homemade oreos!! I blame the pound I am sure to gain from eating them on YOU!

Sarah Cobabe Thomas said...

Oh Amie that was fun to read. I admit I am too much of an old lady to keep up with everybody's blogs, but Michelle told me to check out your blog today, and I am glad I did.

I think of you every time I go bowling, and bowl 80, even though we actually took a class and "learned" how to bowl. Some bodies are not capable of learning things that involve coordination skills.

I do however, make fantastic cookies. I must share an AMAZING variation on the oreo cookie, but you will have to wait until next Christmas to make it. Buy the red and white Andes mint pieces and mix it in with the chocolate dough. You really will die, they make the best cookies ever, even better!

Now I am going to be up all night because I can't think of our Chinese roommate's name. I do remember that I never really understand which was her first name, and which was her last name.

Also, one of my favorite memories is the 3 unattractive (and possibly inbred) sisters from one of our BYU wards humming all three verses of How Great Thou Art. Was that the right song? Oh I am laughing so hard right now. Hum one verse for variety maybe, but humming all three verses was absolutely absurd.

Ahhh, good times.

Sarah Cobabe Thomas said...

Oh, I forgot to add that I stopped using shortening about 8 years ago (since it isn't actually a real food product), and butter works great.

Fishface said...

Sarah,

I, too, am laughing so hard I'm about to cry! I'd forgotten about those girls humming the hymn. I remember just laughing so hard at them! Too funny!

Happy Easter!

LivingstonClan said...

Funny about the shortening Sarah-I have never thought about it--thanx a LOT! I just made these--just need to make the filling now. YUMM-O. You guys are too funny. I remember coming to your apartment over there by the smokestakes, and thinking--"WOW--this is what college is like!" And I could wait to be just like all of you (I don't think I met the chinese roomate!)