Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Overcoming Mediocrity

Our local feed/grain store runs really cute commercials on the radio. They're done by a guy with a really pleasant voice. His voice makes me want to come in and buy large quantities of hay. :) (Which, by the way, we do!)

At the end of each commercial, he says, "Olsen's Grain--where good enough, just isn't."

I've thought a lot about that little catch phrase. It applies to a just about everything in life.

The community where I live/teach seems to have what I call a "culture of mediocrity." It's pretty prevalent, and it drives me NUTS! It's hard to find a person--who isn't LDS--who continually strives for perfection. A lot of students at the high school where I teach have a mentality that they need to do just what it takes to get by. They're happy with the status quo.

This was the mentality of the band I direct when I took over. No pride, no sense of honor or accomplishment. Before I took the job, I would go to the football games and listen to the band and be astonished at the wrong notes! WRONG NOTES!! When you're ready to perform for a crowd, wrong notes should be a thing of the past.

I'm a firm believer that students will rise to the occasion. If you expect mediocrity, that's what you'll get. Since I began teaching at BMHS, I have been fighting that attitude, with varying degrees of success. It's been a constant battle to get them to realize that just showing up for class every day won't make them a great musician. It takes hard work--both inside and outside of class.

I don't think I was born with an extraordinary amount of musical talent. (My parents tell me that my jr. high band director said I had no musical talent.) What I believe I was blessed with was the ability to work hard. I am a very driven person, and I know that this has made me who I am today. I wish I could instill some of that drive into some of my students. They could be so much more.

I was reading a book a while back by Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser, one of the great "band geek" gurus. He said that it's impossible to "motivate" someone externally. I've thought a lot about that as I teach. People need to be internally motivated--the drive has to come from within. So, this begs the question--what am I doing? I'm trying to inspire, teach, share my passion... Am I reaching them? Sometimes I wonder.

5 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

The amazing thing about teachers (other than that they do everything for abysmally dismal pay) is that they DO in fact reach kids. You all are humans, just like everyone, and you make mistakes, just like everyone. Mr. Hill made a mistake with you. You obviously have incredible musical talent. But your real talent is in reaching people. I for one can vouch for that! All those times you taught me... I always knew you cared, even if you couldn't be bothered to turn off the computer and look at me... :-p

I love you sis! I am more proud of you than I could say. You're doing incredible things and your students love you. They may not go on to become the greatest musicians ever (they may, too!) but they will never, ever forget the time you spent with them and how you made them feel like they were superior.

I give you a I+.

LivingstonClan said...

Settling for mediocrity is a very frustrating thing indeed. I saw a lot of that in Roosevelt. Just doing enough to get by--what's the point in doing more? I am glad that you are in that school, and can help inspire those kids to strive for EXCELLENCE! You still rock the CAT BOX!

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

Amie

I have always enjoyed the following statement, attributed to one of the founders of Baskin Robins 31 Flavors:

Getting quality goods and service is like buying oats. If you would like clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price. If you would like oats that have already been through the horse, those are a little cheaper.

For most of your kids, you are not really teaching them music, or their instrument, or even much related to that. The notes are a means to an end. In fact, if school music programs were judged by how many musicians they produce, or how much quality music they made, budget cuts would have killed the programs years ago.

What you ARE doing is teaching young people that doing what they enjoy doing is worth doing well, and that doing this requires just a little more work than doing it only pretty good.

Personally, I enjoy fresh oats and good ice cream much more than the used kind. And I enjoy good music played well much more than mediocre. If that costs more it is worth it. Our kids deserve nothing less than the best; they need to expect the best from themselves and others. And they need to know how to go about producing the best.

That is what you are about with your music. Consider some decent notes an extra added benefit.

Dad

One Giant Fall Forward said...

Well you have inspired me!!! (do I count)? I hope that my kids will have a teacher like you someday! Your GREAT!!!

VulnerableSilence said...

Cobbie, you are an amazing band director, and teacher.
Just look at your seniors this year, their accomplishments, their love for music. I know I definitely wanted to come band practice, work hard and perform my best, even as a first year senior!
You are awesome, and you are spreading a message that mediocracy is not tolerable. And although there will be a few people who just don't care... Every year will be better, working harder to strive for perfection... Superior with distinction, and captions up the wahzoo.... It WILL happen
~Bree