Thursday, April 9, 2009

My Husband

I'm pretty lucky.

I found a great man. Well, to be more specific...he found me, since he saw me first.

It was truly love at first sight, as I melted when I saw his muscles. As I got to know him better, I realized that he would be able to not only take care of me physically, but also spiritually.


He can be pretty romantic when he wants to be, but in rather unconventional ways. Today he surprised me with what he called a "bouquet of chicken sandwich." He brought me my favorite chicken sandwich from Wendy's.

I remember reading an article in the Ensign when we were first married about a woman who complained that her husband never brought her flowers. I chided Gordon about it at the time, because he didn't like to bring me flowers. (I can count on one hand the number of times in our marriage that he has given me flowers...and we've been married almost 19 years.) The wife in the article said that it took her a while to realize that although her husband doesn't bring her flowers, he does so much more.

I've realized that, too.

When we were first married, Gordon promised that he'd make me laugh every day. He's kept that promise, and has been a great comfort and a wonderful friend to me. He listens to me when I whine, holds me when I cry, and loves me when I complain. He is a wonderful father to our two amazing kids and honors his Priesthood and his position in our church. I am grateful to have him in my life.

So he doesn't bring me flowers--so what! :) He brings me a bouquet of chicken sandwich!

3 comments:

Limasa Family said...

OMG I would take a Jack's Spicy Chicken Sandwich over flowers anyday (afterall they just die)! YUM!!!

You go girl!

LivingstonClan said...

I love that sandwich too! Great minds think alike. I have that same "discussion" with Mike about flowers too, but you are right, they do so much more than bring flowers. They sell flowers at Wal*mart, not requiring any thought at all as you walk past and grab a bunch and bring them home. But the daily things that keep you going are so much more important. Thank you for the thought sister!

Sarah Cobabe Thomas said...

I don't think my comment went through, so if you get this twice, sorry!

I was just talking about Gordon today because I bought a new tube of Clinique lipstick. The outside is shiny silver and has kind of a bamboo shape, then when you remove the lid, the word Clinique is printed on the smooth silver tube. It took my breath away! I was reminded of the time you and Gordon visited us in LA, and he wanted you to start using Clinique lipstick because he thought the silver tubes were so cool looking!