Friday, August 28, 2009

Forgive and forget?

I had an incident happen over the summer with a couple of students. One might call it "sexual harassment." I don't know what happened...I wasn't in the room when it happened. It happened during our summer leadership workshop that we attend each year in Mesa.

The two students involved seem content to move on and get past it. In fact, I haven't heard a word about it from either of them (or from anyone else, for that matter) since school started. One of the students involved was punished, and my administrators consider the case closed, and the situation complete.

I take some of my students to another mini-workshop in a couple of weeks. It's a four-hour workshop in Mesa and I take them because I need to go down there anyway. (It's our annual band director's meeting.) Plus--it's a great workshop and a super pick-me-up for them.

I sent out an email to the parents and students that I'd like to have attend. The mom of the student that was "assaulted" sent me an email that said she was "disgusted" that the other student who "assaulted" her child is still allowed to be in a leadership position and that she didn't feel he'd been appropriately punished.

First of all, the only thing that's been admitted to is arm-rubbing while head was on shoulder. That's it. Secondly, the student has been punished--he's not allowed to go on any more overnight trips, which is huge this year as we're going to Disneyland in the spring, and he's a senior. Thirdly, he's been an EXCELLENT leader, probably the best we've had in this position.

When is it time to let things go and move on? Would I feel differently if this were my child? Perhaps, but I'd also know that the punishment fits the crime. I like to think that I'm pretty fair and level headed, but is she right in being so hateful towards this child? I know that I can be a little "mama bear"-ish when it comes to my kids, and I'd do anything to protect them. How would I react to a situation like this?

I was pretty upset at her email this morning. It got me thinking a lot (which is something I don't like to do very often.) I care about both of these students, and--like I said--they both seem to have moved past it. Why can't she?

1 comment:

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

Kids almost always handle their problems better than parents handle the kids problem.

If there is no further trouble just let it lie, including the feeling you may have that you need to explain or further justify things to the Mama bear.

IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO SOLVE EVERYONES PROBLEMS. That is why there are administrators.

Just enjoy the kids.

Dad