Monday, August 31, 2009

No Smoking

I was at Circle K today (yes, getting a Diet Pepsi) and was walking out when I was bombarded with cigar smoke.

Smoking is such a nasty habit. (Kind of like drinking too much Diet Pepsi--I know, dad!) I'm so grateful that it never appealed to me. Particularly in this day and age, you just can't smoke anywhere and it's become so expensive.

If what I'm seeing is correct, a pack of cigarettes cost around $5.00 a pack. I'll be the average person goes through 5 packs/week. That's $1300 a year on something that is really terrible for your body. It's also rare that just one person in the household smokes, so that $1300 probably doubles to $2600. Then there's the cost of health care, which is most likely higher because they are smokers, along with the additional doctor's visits they have related to their smoking.

When I go out to eat I'm accosted with smokers getting their last cigarette before they go into eat. Or their first cigarette after they're done eating. How awful to not be able to enjoy just sitting and relaxing with your "date" as you're too busy worrying about how quickly you can go out for a smoke.

It's like a huge ball and chain, and not the one you're married to! :)

I'm grateful for Joseph Smith and for the Word of Wisdom. It makes so much sense--it's what we know for a fact today, and what they did on faith then. I'm grateful for my children who see how incredibly stupid smoking is and have no desire to do it. I hope they remember that decision when times get tough and they are tempted.

No comments: