Thursday, August 13, 2009

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

Well, after a long hiatus, I'm back.

I've realized that I've missed writing down my thoughts, and even though I'm now woefully busy, I'm going to start back up. (Like it or not!)

I'm now starting my fourth day of school. It's weird to me that we start so early--band camp started in July! I think I get to a place over the summer when I'm just ready to go back, so I guess early is good.

I volunteered to do some pretty weird stuff with my schedule this year and it just may kill me. I love jazz...teaching, playing--whatever. When I started teaching at BMHS six years ago the principal called me in and told me that he was going to have to cut jazz band because there weren't enough kids in the class. I told him that I'd find the kids, and I did. "Finding kids" has come at a cost, and I've been fighting it ever since. For the past five years, we've had a mediocre jazz band because most kids can't fit it into their schedule. I've been stuck with whoever could make it work. I have had some great musicians in the class, but a lot of kids who just don't belong. I believe very strongly that the jazz band should be the "cream of the crop."

In order to make it work this year, I'm teaching it as an "early bird" class, every morning at 7:00 a.m. This may not sound early, but it means I have to get up and get going by 5:30, which is torture for a non-morning person like me. So far, so good--kids are showing up on time and we're getting work done. It's hard to get Ian and Courtnie up and moving some days (Courtnie more so than Ian) but I think they'll get used to it.

I also have marching band practice from 2:30-5:00 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but that's another story...

I saw my husband for a total of 10 minutes yesterday. After leaving early from school early yesterday, I rushed home, put dinner in the crock pot, then went and did RS visits. That ended at 6:20. I rushed home again, cooked some rice, did the dishes and had another meeting at the church. When that ended at 8:45, I went to the hospital to visit a sister who was having chest pains. (Turns out she's okay...) I got home around 9:45, just in time to kiss my husband good bye before he went to work and I went to bed. He has football practice every day from 2:15 to 6:00, and although he's happy and I'm happy, we're both too busy to do much else.

When do we clean our house, fold laundry, and everything else we need to get done?

Frustrating!

So, we take it one day at a time.

I'm having a great year so far in band. I'm up to 90 kids in the band, and 43 of them are freshmen. Luckily, they're all pretty good kids and they've learned fast. Things are progressing fairly well, which is good because our first game is September 4. It's going to be here before we know it!

3 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

Wow--I guess I can't ever feel sorry for myself AGAIN! At least you have the weekends? When there's not a football game, or band compitition right? lol! Love you, and your dedication to you students, and you calling, and your kids...geez--that's a lot!

Bill Cobabe said...

90 kids is awesome! I have always felt that the freshmen are the ones who form the solid leadership later on, so getting that many in early is huge. Nice work! I am sure it's in no small degree to your diligence and sacrifice. You are making a difference in these kids lives and they'll never, ever forget you. I can't remember my science teacher's names, but we still talk about Bird... See what you do?!? You're awesome!

owendavismusic said...

hahaha Yeah, I was one of those kids that just made it work in Jazz when I played Saxophone I suppose. It was a great experience for me though to grow as a musician. So...thanks for that. I do 100% agree with you that Jazz should be the "cream".

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to now grow as a teacher. You are the reason it's EASY to do this for free. :)

I am currently having visions for the choreography in the drum break/transition to the closer. I will present it to you on Monday.

Anyways, I'm so glad that you are putting everything you have into keeping Jazz alive at Bradshaw. Thanks again for everything.