Friday, June 26, 2009

Week in Review

I've had a pretty successful week...thus far. I've accomplished all of the things I set out to do, and am feeling pretty good about it. :)

Courtnie's dress--DONE!
House clean--DONE!
Practiced solo for Sunday's fireside--DONE!
Written talk--DONE! (almost)
Family on their way or here--DONE!

Courtnie and I have enjoyed our time together. I miss my husband and son, but am glad that they're having a great time. Gordon called on Wednesday and had fun tales to tell of Ian eating worms and riding wild burros. Mostly, I'm so glad that he hasn't been troubled with the separation anxiety that has plagued him for the past couple of years. I was worried about that, and have been praying daily for his happiness. I'm hoping that this will be a great turning point for him.

Courtnie had her baptismal interview with our bishop on Tuesday. Afterwards, the bishop told me what a sweet testimony she has. We talked a bit about the interview on the way home, and I felt the Spirit so strong as she told me what she told the bishop about her relationship with Jesus and what she thinks about Him. I truly knew the meaning of "child-like faith."

Wednesday night, my good friend Katie came over to watch "Ben-Hur." (She'd never seen it, and your life just isn't complete until you do!) I've seen this movie probably 25 times, and learn something new every time. This time, the character Balthazar struck me. In the movie he plays one of the three Wise Men who brings gifts to the infant Christ. He shows up in the movie a couple more times--each time searching for the grown Christ. The line that hit me this time was when he said, "When I see Him, I will know it is Him."

Throughout my life, I have been taught to live so that when Christ comes again I will recognize Him. One of the biggest struggles I have in my life is that I tend to be too self-reliant. I think I can do it all without asking for help. The person I need help from the most is my Savior, and at times, He has been the person I am least likely to ask. I don't know why. The thing that is the most astonishing to me is that He never tires of waiting for me to shape up and just ask. I know that He is there, and I know that He is listening. I have felt His presence in my life many times.

Later on in the movie, when Christ is delivering his Sermon on the Mount, we see Balthazar again. He tells Judah Ben-Hur that he KNOWS this is the man he has been seeking his entire life. I hope that I can live my life so that when He comes again I can be that kind of a witness as well.

2 comments:

JoEllen said...

What a wonderful statement of testimony and needing to ask for help. I hope that the baptism goes well and the testimonies are strengthened. Thanks for strengthening mine!

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

Amie

We had a wonderful time with your family (and Michelles, Lindseys, and Josh's).

What would be the chances of you making a CD with your Sax piece from the fireside, and perhaps some other church music?

I have it on good authority that you know a decent sound engineer type guy, do you have the equipment available?

Dad