Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

I have a new church calling. After my millionth stint as Primary Chorister, I was called last Sunday to be the Enrichment counselor in the Relief Society presidency of our ward. I think out of the almost 18 years Gordon and I have been married, I've actually been able to attend RS about one year--total.

Needless to say, this is all pretty new to me. I'm also not a big "Enrichment Night" attendee. I'm usually so tired and/or want to spend time with my family on Thursday nights. (Plus...HELLO...that's the night "Survivor" is on!!) So, I'm in need of some serious repenting here, which is probably why I was given this calling in the first place.

I also know that I need a challenge. It's easy to get in a "rut" when you've been doing something for so long. My Sundays took little-to-no preparation. I'm sure I could have done a better job...no, I know I could have done a better job. But, I feel that way with all of the callings I've had over the course of my life.

So, today was my first Sunday in RS. Our ward is gradually shrinking as the economy of the area weakens and people are forced to move. Today we had 21 people in RS, and that was HUGE for us. Granted, a lot of sisters are in Primary or Young Women, but it's still small. When I was able to attend RS just a year ago, it seemed much bigger.

Our new RS president is awesome. I really like her, and she and I have similar personalities. She gave a great lesson today on unity in sisterhood. I know she was inspired in the things she shared with us and the lesson went by very quickly and smoothly.

Before she got to the lesson, she announced that we'd have a new member baptism in a couple of weeks. I didn't know this, but her family has been working with the missionaries on this cute older couple...the Newtons. Sister Newton talked a bit about the plans for her baptism, and was just so excited. It was so neat to see the glow in her face and the love for the Gospel she had. It just beamed from her.

As grateful as I am to have been born to goodly parents and raised in the Church, at times I envy those who join later on in life. It is so obvious that they have been seeking for something their whole life, and are thrilled beyond description to have finally found it. I take my membership in the Church for granted so much. It was good to be reminded of how important it is to not only me, but others as well.

Her excitement in the Gospel was infectious, and her eyes were full of joy. I want to live my life so that others see me that way. As I said before, it's easy to get complacent. Maybe this new calling is just the kick in the pants I need to make me realize how important it really is.

4 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

Let's chat--I have lot's of "Pearls of Wisdom" to pass on you know. I was Enrichment Leader for 2 years and 2nd Couselor for 1.5. It's a great calling--I miss it all the time! You'll be great.

Amie Cobb said...

Oh, don't I know it. We'll be talking, for sure!

Thanks for accepting Courtnie's "call." :) She's so excited for her baptism!

LivingstonClan said...

That phone call was the cutest thing EVER! (Well, aside from her message where she had a frog in her throat and had to clear it a couple of times before she could talk!) Just only pick songs that are 3/4 or 4/4--OK! :)

Amie Cobb said...

Lindsey...she's doing "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized" (3/4)and "I Lived in Heaven."(in 6/8, but you can conduct it in 2) Easy-peasy!