Sunday, June 21, 2009

Papa, Can You Hear Me?

I love the movie "Yentl." I love it because my mom loved it, and she loved it because Barbara's in it. Nuff said. :)

In the last few months, I had the opportunity to watch it again. It's been a while since I've seen it--maybe ten years or so. I saw it with a new set of eyes. I began to appreciate even more the relationship Yentl had with her father, as it reminded me a lot of my own father. Over the years, I have come to realize what a great man he is, and I appreciate him, as Yentl appreciated her father.

Here are a few of the things I have learned from my father:
1. What to expect from a husband. Expect nothing less than the best from him, and make sure he treats me like a queen. (Which he does!)
2. How to be a teacher. My dad is an excellent teacher, and I love his teaching style.
3. How to love learning and to be a life-long learner.
4. To love books and the adventures the can take you on and places they can take you to. My dad and I are both VORACIOUS readers. I love books so much I could cry.
5. To show unconditional love. His kids have all screwed up from time to time--well, except for Bill :)--and he loves them all anyway.
6. How to give great advice.
7. How to write a great paper, resume, and letter. I am confident that the reason I have the job I do is because I wrote a great cover letter! :)
8. How to be an expert in teasing others. It's a family trait, and I excel at it!
9. Never settle for less than the best in yourself.
10. Love music and appreciate it. I also wouldn't be where I am today if my dad hadn't taken me to the music store all of those years ago...
11. How to love and appreciate Scouting. I'm gaining a new appreciation for this as my husband just got called to be Scoutmaster...again!
12. How to be a great parent--one who loves, teaches, listens to and appreciates each one of his kids.
13. Most importantly--he taught (and continues to teach) me the importance of having the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. The blessings we receive from Him are evident every day.

I love you so much, Dad. I'm grateful for each one of these things...and many more...that you have taught me.

Happy Father's Day, Papa!

2 comments:

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

Amie (and all my family)

These postings have turned out to be a blessing. Like you mention, we tend to tease a bit, perhaps too much. Perhaps we should work on that. And it is not always easy while in the middle of a busy family event, to take the time to express our gratitude for the family we have been blessed to be a part of. So thank you for the very kind words. Please post these thoughts where everyone in the family can read them; I love all of you very much.

Saturday your Mom and I went to the temple. A neighbor and good friend was being sealed to her husband and six children after 40 years of marriage. The husband was also sealed to his parents. So a three generation link was formed that day. Or since all of the children had been married in the temple previously and were sealed to their children already it was a 4 generation link. Perhaps you can picture the parents kneeling at the altar with the six adult children kneeling there with them. It was a very sacred occasion.

While I was there I took the opportunity (in between drying my eyes) to think about my own family, and the sacred feelings I have for each of them. The most wonderful day in my life was the occasion when an intelligent, spiritual, and beautiful young woman named Valerie knelt at the altar with me, and we were sealed for time and eternity. I like to think that my children were there too. I have long believed that families somehow got together in the pre-existence, since the bonds in a family are too important to leave to chance. And the love we feel for each other in our family is too strong to be a random thing.

I do not have words for the love and pride I feel for my family. And I feel as Ammon did when he said "I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom;
but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.

Our family is indeed a miracle. Let us all do everything in our power to preserve that miracle, and always give thanks and rely on the Lord to continue to bless all of us. Mom and I pray every day that our family will be preserved, and that one day we will all be together in the Celestial kingtom with our Lord.

Dad

LivingstonClan said...

Geez--I was all set to post a tease about the fact that I never screwed up once, and then I read dad's sweet comment. Uggh! I think we are all pretty darn lucky!