Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Motivation?

I don't really have a lot to say today, but I wanted to say something, so here goes...

Friday is our first home football game, and I'm more than a little concerned. 

I'm not sure what it is this year, but it's just not coming together.  The students don't know their sets on the field, they don't know when they're supposed to move and when they're not, and the music isn't sounding as good as it was a few days ago.

I wish I knew what could make a difference.

I got pretty upset and disgusted at Tuesday's practice, and told the band that if they didn't shape up, they'd embarrass themselves on Friday.  I told them that they're not living up to the standards of the BMHS marching band. 

I think this may have lit a fire under some of them, as they've all called extra practices for today and tomorrow.  It goes back to what I tell my leaders--you can't MAKE students want to do better, they have to want to themselves.  No one can do it for you.  This is the most frustrating thing about being an educator.

I just don't want to put a "half-baked" product out there Friday.  It's just not acceptable for me. 

Meanwhile, I'm dialysis catheter free for today.  Not that it feels much different, as it's become such a part of me the past seven months.  It does feel weird to look down and not see tubes hanging out of my chest.  I wish I didn't have to go back tomorrow to get a new one put in.  If all goes as plan, I should only have 23 more dialysis treatments...but who's counting? :)

I just found out that I have a great sub that can take over while I'm out.  This is SUCH a relief!  I was really worried about what was going to happen while I was gone, as the only available music sub was asked not to come back last year.  I'm glad that I have someone I know I can count on.

2 comments:

amuse said...

It will all come together before you know it. The kids are strong and they also feel what you are going thru in a different way. You are one of the strongest women that I have ever meet and the kids see that and that will push them to make you happy.

hicountry said...

amie,

i know someone who, if nothing else, was always good at getting her "babies" to give more of themselves than they had and to really see just how great being in the band is. She would be more than willing to just talk to your kids and maybe relate to them a little closer from being there and being more their age. you know who it is, just text or message her. she will always consider her years in band and with you the best of her high school life. use her and take some of the work off you, that's what we are all here for! once a band family member, always a band family member! love you!