Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Late Night

For some totally obscure reason, I couldn't sleep last night.  I think it was well past midnight by the time I actually fell asleep, and then it was a fitful sleep. 

I'm usually asleep by 9:00 or 9:30, so I miss the late night talk shows.  Last night, I was flipping through the channels and stopped on David Letterman's show.  He had Michael Douglas on, and I was intrigued by what he might talk about, as he was just recently diagnosed with throat cancer.

Of course, he was there to promote his new movie, so there was a lot of talk about that, but then Dave started asking him questions about his diagnosis and treatments.

I was a little taken aback by Michael Douglas' appearance.  He looked gaunt and like he'd lost some weight.  It was especially noticeable when they showed the clip of his movie, where he looked robust and healthy. 

As they started to talk about his treatments and his prognosis, I was impressed by his attitude.  He seemed very determined to fight it, and had a great outlook.  Instead of taking a "woe is me" attitude, he seemed almost "ho-hum" about the whole thing.  Now, I realize this may be an act, but it seemed genuine to me.

I feel confident in saying that this outlook will be his key to success.  I am again the proponent of saying that attitude determines EVERYTHING in life.  Cancer is a terrible thing, it reeks havoc on everything it comes in contact with, but how you face it determines how you will beat it.

I'm not really a fan of Michael Douglas' work...most of his movies are out of my ethical league...but I do hope he'll recover for the sake of his wife and children.  As I said before, if he beats it, it will be because of his great outlook.

No comments: