Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Scary Moments

My dialysis catheter was infected for quite some time, and for some reason my body just keeps wanting to hang on to this infection.  I've had mega-doses of antibiotics for the past month, and I just can't seem to kick it. 

My nephrologist wants me to start coming to dialysis three times a week for the next few weeks, which I'm THRILLED about.  Great--I get to feel like death three times a week now instead of two! :)

So, last Saturday I went to dialysis for two hours.  Fine. 

Yesterday, I went again--my normal time.  I fell asleep for a bit and when I woke up, my first bag of antibiotics was done.  The nurse came in and was about to start my second bag when I started feeling really strange.  Completely out of control...  I couldn't breathe right, I started vomiting, had a SPLITTING headache and just felt not right.  My blood pressure tanked and was at 80/50, which is REALLY low for me.  The low blood pressure was the cause of the odd feeling.

They gave me some saline and stopped the antibiotics.  It all went away after a few minutes, but I was shot for the rest of the night. 

This morning, I woke up with every intention of heading to our 7 a.m. jazz ensemble class, but puked and puked in the shower.  Not good.  Our head football coach has offered to sit in with my students if I ever needed him to, and he graciously did this today.  It's nice to have support...and who knew it would come from the football coach?  He's a great guy.  We're fortunate to have him.

Good news...only 19 more dialysis treatments! :)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Amie, the peace of the Christ be with you.

"For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light [even when you feel like shit]."
~Psalm 36:9 [modified]