Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Aortic Bypass

So, here's the verdict:
It's called an Aortic Bypass. Dr. Wheatley will make an incision below my sternum so that he can access my aorta. He will then attach the artificial aorta to a spot above where the damaged portion. The artificial aorta will then attach to my femoral artery. (The picture above is what will happen...the white tubing is the artificial tube, the blue and red are the actual aorta.) He's also going to do a mini-bypass in my left renal artery in hopes that he can save that kidney.
My surgery is scheduled for Monday, December 21. I'll spend a week in the hospital and then be recovering for six to eight weeks.
Although I'm a bit anxious about major surgery, I'm excited for the prospects. I don't know if I've ever had adequate blood flow to my legs--this may be a new experience for me. I know that things will work out well. I'm just so grateful to have some resolution!!
Thanks so much to all of my family and friends for your prayers. I have felt them and know that they work. I love you all!

4 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

Now if only you could wake up with the body of that drawing! I'd go for that one! I love you sista. I am happy/sad/nervous/excited for this--for you. I still want to come down and "take care of you." I'll be there Monday. :) We are praying for you every night--my kids ask a lot of funny questions. (I just said you need help with your heart, to simplify things--Bailey thinks you guys are twinners now) P.S. You sounded really happy yesterday when we talked, which just further ensures me this is the right thing for you.

Jeanette said...

Hugs, you are in our prayers as always and I hope this is the happy ending you are hoping for. I hope this procedure solves your problems and allows you to have an easy recovery and a comfortable life.

Amie Cobb said...

What are you talking about, Lindsey...I already HAVE that body! :)

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers!

amuse said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers Mrs. Cobb. When you are all healed you will be amazed how much better you will feel. This will be the best Christmas ever.