Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Heart My Doctor

I've been taking my blood pressure a couple of times a day for the past week or so. I was just curious if my kidney issues would affect my blood pressure, and sure enough--they have. My blood pressure has been hovering around 160/100 (normal is 120/80.) SO...I made an appointment with my primary care doctor.

I really love her. She is always concerned about me when I come in and is (or at least seems to be) genuinely interested in me being well. When she came in today, she took a look at my chart, which reflected my current blood pressure issue and said, "Oh-oh!"

I told her about my aorta/renal artery issue and asked for advice. She looked me in the eye and asked me why we were even talking about it. She told me that I'm only 36, and need to be healthy. She said she could tell just by looking at me that I was tired and not feeling well, which is true about 80% of the time.

We talked about how remarkable it is to live today, when so much can be done to help someone in my situation. She said that I should stop doing the "temporary fixes" and do something that will give a better quality of life. I couldn't agree more.

It feels good to have someone reaffirm what I already was feeling. I trust her opinion, and value her input. It gives me more to talk about when I go see the vascular surgeon next week. Solutions, people! Solutions!!

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

{{{Hugs}}} and good luck, we are praying for you. I hope you are able to get something accomplished that will greatly improve your health and the way you feel for a good loooooooong time!

LivingstonClan said...

Isn't it great to have found a doctor who at least makes you FEEL like they care about you?! I am glad you feel more at peace with your decision, I think it sounds like the right one too. Hey--and I'll come down and help you with Ian for the summer! ;) Love you Amers.

Dotted Owl Crafts said...

Oh Amie, I hope you get some resolve with your health issues. I understand what its like to not feel well and normal and I hope you can some to a solution. Loves!