Monday, December 14, 2009

Son of Man

I was asked to lead the music in Sacrament meeting yesterday. We got to church a little bit late, so Gordon and the kids had to sit in the back. Rather than trek up and down the aisles, I stayed on the stand the entire time.

One of my friends, Missy, gave a talk about Joseph Smith. She talked about his life and trials, and spoke about his time at Liberty Jail. This time of his life always hits me hard. I imagine him sitting in the cramped, cold jail cell and suffering miserably. From this time comes some of the most beautiful and poignant scripture we have (in my opinion.)

1 O God, where art thou? And where is the pavillion that covereth thy hiding place?
2 How long shall thy hand be stayed, and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries?
3 Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?
4 O Lord God Almighty, maker of heaven, earth, and seas, and of all things that in them are, and who controllest and subjectest the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol--stretch forth thy hand; let thine eye pierce; let thy pavilion be taken up; let thy hiding place no longer be covered; let thine ear be inclined; let thine heart be softened, and thy bowels moved with compassion toward us.
5 Let thine anger be kindled against our enemies; and, in the fury of thine heart, with thy sword avenge us of our wrongs.
6 Remember thy suffering saints, O our God; and thy servants will rejoice in thy name forever.
7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

And then the clincher...at least for me:
8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

As she was speaking, these verses of scripture kept coming into my mind. I kept thinking of the trials and afflictions I have in my life, and how often I feel sorry for myself.

It then hit me that Christ knows of my afflictions, and has suffered more than I. He knows me, He knows what I'm going through, and He loves me. I am grateful for this knowledge. I have known it my entire life, but haven't really needed it until now.

I sat on the stand and cried for joy. I realized how much I need Him, and how much more I need to depend on Him. I also felt a little silly for complaining about my current state of affairs when my suffering is miniscule compared to what is going on in the world around me. I'm a complainer, but I'm going to try to be better about it. I need to realize that in the long term, this trial is just "but a small moment." If I endure it well, I will know true happiness.

4 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

It is true, our trials are nothing compared to what He went through. Your trials are not insignificant to your (or my) reference, though.

Notice that in the end of Section 121 he tells Brother Joseph (and all of us) that we must be patient, long-suffering (because it is suffering and it will be long!), meek, gentle, and have love unfeigned. Coincidence? I think not. It is the times of our lives when we struggle that we need to remember these things the most. Actually, sis, YOU taught me more about this than you'll ever know. You've always been a great example for me.

Bill and Valerie Cobabe said...

Sometimes (most times?)this suffering business is not all it is cracked up to be. It is truly comforting to know that the Lord has been where we are now, and He understands.

It is my opinion that too often we stop reading too soon in Sec. 101. I think the last verse and a half are the best: the promise.

"then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

That may just be a really fancy way of saying "Hang in there", but I get excited every time I read it.

You hang in there, Amie

Dad

Bill Cobabe said...

HA! Dad totally finished my thought. Amazing. He did get the reference wrong - it's section 121... Probably just a typo...

Personally, I believe that the "dominion" that is being referred to there is family. Try putting the word family in place of dominion and I think it takes on a whole new meaning...

Beth said...

Amie,
You are an AMAZING person and your trials are more than many people could handle! You have always been one of my "heros" in life because of the positive way you see things! This goes way back to when you were in the hospital when you were so little, by the way! Keep up that attitude and complain in any medium anytime you like! Love you tons and we are praying for you! Beth