Wednesday, March 31, 2010

After All

Courtnie came home yesterday with a note from her teacher telling me that she'd like to meet with me about Courtnie's progress. After giving Courtnie the third degree about why she wanted to meet, we came to really no conclusion.

I have been so tired after school that I usually just go to bed and let the kids fend for themselves on their homework. Gordon helps when needed, but we haven't been checking their homework and monitoring their school work like we should.

Turns out Courtnie's work has been slipping. Her handwriting isn't as good as it used to be and her grades are taking a nose dive. When I talked to her teacher this morning, she told me that Courtnie seems distracted--especially before spring break, which was the time I was so sick and in the hospital.

I started to cry because the last thing I want is for my illness to affect my family. This is killing me. Courtnie is such a smart girl, and can do the work with one hand tied behind her back. She's never let on that she's worried about me--she's always been easy-going, cheerful Courtnie. For those reasons, it never occurred to me that it would bother her at school.

Her teacher was very understanding, and had no idea what was going on at home. I should have told her so that she could keep a special eye on her, but for whatever reason, I didn't. Now that she knows, she said that she'd try to keep her focused. Luckily, I'm feeling SO much better and can be a better mom now.

I feel awful. I know there's nothing I could have done about it, but I want to maintain some degree of normalcy so badly. I'm hoping things will be different from here on out.

No comments: