Sunday, March 28, 2010

Headache

I woke up this morning at 6 a.m. with a screaming headache. I tried my usual relaxation techniques to get rid of it, but they didn't work today. (Bill will remember the relaxation techniques...remember that workshop we went to when we were in high school? "What color is your headache? What shape is your headache? If you held a candle up to it, could you see through it?")

So I got out of bed and took a pain pill. Maybe I'm addicted. I sure hope not. That would be one MORE thing to have to deal with! :)

I went to dialysis yesterday and forgot to take my blood pressure meds first. BAD move! My initial blood pressure reading was 195/105. YIKES! It goes down a little once they start dialysis, but that was still scary. As a result--yep--you guessed it--I threw up a bunch when it was all over. I felt so stupid. I just can't forget to take my meds. I felt awful all of the way home. I got home and took my meds and felt better right away. I suppose that's the answer to why I would get so nauseous. High blood pressure=throwing up.

The best part about not feeling so well is that Gordon came to bed with me and we snuggled most of the night. We watched "Steel Magnolias," which is one of our favorite movies ever. Gordon says it's the only "chick flick" he can actually stand. The one-liners from that movie are priceless, and I use them all of the time. My favorites: "You are evil, and you must be destroyed" and "you are a pig from HELL!"

About the time when Shelby starts dialysis is when Courtnie left the room. She said, "I don't like this movie anymore." I guess it hit home for her. She's seen it before and knew what happened to Shelby when her kidney transplant failed.

That hit home for me, too. As much as I'm looking forward to getting a kidney transplant, there's the possibility that it might fail. There's always going to be the unknown, I suppose. The "what ifs" in life keep things interesting. Maybe that's why that man at the dialysis center I go to has been on dialysis for 15 years...he's scared of the "what ifs." I know that I will have good doctors that will monitor things for me very carefully and if I am good to my body, it will be good to me. I also know that I have WAY too much work to do yet on this earth and I'm not ready to be done yet. I need to see Ian off on a mission, Courtnie getting married, and holding and taking care of my grand babies. That means I've got to be around for another 30 years at least!

I'm not going anywhere!