Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lacking faith?

Tuesday while I was getting my dialysis treatment, the nephrologist came by on his bi-weekly "rounds." I guess he figures we've got little else to do while attached to a machine that is sucking out your blood. ;)

He's a nice guy, always smiling. He seems like he cares, but is a little distant. Yesterday he asked me how I was doing and if I needed anything. Jokingly, I said, "Well, I could use some new kidneys." He laughed and said that that would be helpful! He asked if I wanted to start the transplant process, and I said that I was ready. His point--and it's a good one--is that if we get the process going and my kidneys kick in, we just stop the process. No harm done.

In January, I received a priesthood blessing that my kidneys would regain their normal function. While I remain positive and hopeful, I know that as time passes, so does the chance of that happening. I know that I have the Lord on my side, and I know that He's looking out for me.

So--does the fact that I'm proceeding with the transplant mean I'm lacking faith? This is the issue that I've been struggling with for the past few weeks. I want to receive blessings and to show that I have faith in Him and the healing powers of blessings, but I want so badly to be healthy. I feel like a transplant may be my only option. Did the blessing that I'd have normal kidney function mean that it would be with someone else's kidney?

As Courtnie often says, "These are the questions that haunt me."

4 comments:

B. Perky said...

I think the later, you never struck me as lacking faith. "Your" kidneys are just not attached yet. Your children are not of your body but they are yours!

One Giant Fall Forward said...

Amie I love you! Thank you for always being there for me! Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. You are amazing...

owendavismusic said...

Well is faith...the constant hope that something will happen that shouldn't? Do people prey for things when they have no idea whether they will happen or not?

I guess what I'm asking is this; is faith attempting such an alteration of reality that it is hurting you? Is ignoring the obvious, faith?

I don't think there is a god Mrs.Cobb. BUT if there IS one...I am pretty sure that he would love YOU so much that he wouldn't want you to ignore the fact that your in pain in order to secure not only your but other's sense of "faith".

I don't think anyone, not even a god can be mad at you for wanting to live to the fullest. :)

I hope this post isn't too much...

Love, Nate

Bill Cobabe said...

Nate rules.

There is a God and He lives and loves you. The fact that you are here and alive and functioning is great. We do not receive witnesses of truth until after the trial of our faith. Maybe your blessing referred to kidneys you have not yet received.

I love you sis. I have these two kidneys, see....